Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What Matters More?


Recently, there was an article on CNN Money that listed the "College Degrees That Don't Pay."  Surprisingly (or maybe unsurprisingly), athletic training was listed, along with social workers, chef and even teachers. 
While I question the data used in the article, it certainly raises an eyebrow. 

One other thing that really stands out to me is that for each "low-paying" career listed most all of those asked had a high level of job satisfaction.
"...I get paid in smiles. I know I'm not making as much money as a lot of my friends, but I love going to work every Monday and know that I'm changing lives every day..."

"...nothing could compensate me for spending eight to 10 hours a day at [a job I hate] when I knew something I really loved to do was still out there waiting for me."

"I may never drive a BMW or live in a 5,000 square foot house, but I get to go to a job that I love and that, to me, is priceless."

"I absolutely love what I'm doing now and couldn't imagine myself in another career for any amount of money."

Work is what we spend most of our life doing.  Isn't it important to be doing something that you enjoy?  Something that fulfills you?

Additionally, despite the supposed low salary athletic training is consistently listed among the fastest growing professions.  Government economists expect job growth for athletic trainers to be much faster than the average for all careers through 2018. In fact, it’s expected to be the tenth-fastest-growing career they studied.

As the number of jobs increase, we can continue to raise awareness and respect in the medical community as well as with the general public and the rest will begin to fall in line.

No comments: