Monday, November 22, 2010

Let's Talk Money

Over the weekend I had a chance to catch up on the last several months of reading the NATA News. A bus trip from Nac to Lubbock has to have a positive side, right? A hot topic was low salaries so I’ll take this opportunity to chime in on the subject.

Let me start out by saying I feel like there are very, very few athletic trainers who get paid what they are worth. I won’t even touch on the topic of the long hours we work or the immense value of what we do. Let’s just talk money.

In the August issue of NATA News Peggy Houlgum (If you don’t have her rehab book get it, fantastic) addresses the issue of AT’s continually filling low paying jobs and internships, despite knowing they are worth more. She states that AT’s commonly accept these positions as a “way to get in the door.” I completely agree that the low salaries offered for assistant positions or internships are ridiculous and there is no excuse for it. When a university gives coaches salaries in the millions I find it impossible to believe they don’t have the money for respectable salaries for their entire athletic training staff. The money is there but the management knows they don’t have to pay it because they can get quality help for peanuts just because they are a big name school.

Definitely a case of having one’s priorities out of whack. However, I do feel that there is a constructive place for interns in the collegiate setting. If an intern is used by the definition of the word and is truly receiving guidance and direction from other staff AT’s it can be a great experience for the intern.

Let’s face it -- not everyone is ready to be out on their own just because they have a degree and passed a test. An intern position can also be a way for the college’s athletic department to get a foot hold on acquiring funding for another fulltime staff member. Once a position is added it’s easy for everyone to see the value and it’s much easier to ask for a little more salary each year then an entirely new position.

With that being said the head AT must be willing to continue to push for the intern position to become a fulltime assistant with a respectable salary. Ms. Houlgum also argues AT’s should refuse to take jobs with low salaries. Easier said than done. Less than five years ago I took a low-paying, entry-level position because I was fresh out of grad school and flat broke. It turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made. My head AT got me a small raise after my first year and then graciously helped me move on to a better paying job after two years.

It was at that low-paying job that I learned just how rewarding our job is and how much I really enjoy our profession. The intrinsic rewards of our profession easily overcome the low salaries. We just have to be our own number one advocates and not to be afraid to ask for a salary increase or move on to another job if the current employer refuses to pay us what we are worth.

No comments: